Aside from the Classic Client and ClassicUO Client, while there are many different things that define what "Classic" is to different people, there are two major turning points in the game's history that stand out above all others as marking an end to the Classic Era. The first was the introduction of the facet of Trammel with the release of the Renaissance expansion, while the second was the changes to the item system and game mechanics that came with the Age of Shadows expansion. Oceania Classic is set during The Second Age expansion, before both the Renaissance and the Age of Shadows.
It is important to note that while Oceania Classic is set in The Second Age era, it is not a replica or recreation of the game as it was during The Second Age, nor does it seek to be. Features from across UO's decades long history that enhance the shard and fit into the Classic Era have been included.
- The original world of Britannia, as it was before the Felucca/Trammel split.
- Original (pre-AoS) item system. No insurance.
- 700 total Skill Cap, 225 total Stat Cap.
- Factions System, Order vs Chaos, Dueling Arenas.
- Classic Houses in Britannia, Custom Houses in Rondorin.
- Guildstones and the Guild System that goes with them.
- Banksitting area on the Britain Bank Roof.
- Murderer Bounty Hunting!
- Original currency system, including bank cheques.
Read more about Game Systems.
The following is an incomplete list of things on Oceania Classic that are different to how they used be at one point or another.
- The Isle of Magincia has been abandoned.
- The towns of Ocllo and Nujel'm have been given Public Moongates, while the Magincia gate has been removed.
- No permanent skill loss for Murderers.
- The Factions System has been redesigned.
- The Minax stronghold is located in it's modern location - carved into Dragonhame Mountain - instead of just south of Papua where it originally was.
- The Council of Mages stronghold has been relocated to Wind.
- Some rare special bosses may make use of skills, spells or abilities from modern UO. These skills/spells/abilities are not available to player characters and never will be.
- Creatures from later in UO's history may be included but only where appropriate. An example of this is some of the ice themed baddies in Ice Dungeon.
- Brand new items and mobiles, such as the mounted Council of Mages and Shadowlords cavalry guards.
The following skills from modern UO are disabled for use by players on Oceania Classic but may still be mentioned in game or used by some NPCs.
The Discordance skill takes the place of the old skill that was known as Enticement.
Humans are the only playable race on Oceania Classic. Creation of Elf and Gargoyle characters is disabled.